In case you didn’t hear, Apple finally hit 25 billion App Store downloads on Friday night while most of us were sleeping, which nets some lucky winner a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card. That person has now been named, and ironically the 25th billion app was a freebie.
Apple Inc. announced that it had reached the 25 billionth download on the App Store late Friday night, an event ironically marked by a freebie title — in this case, Where’s My Water Free, which turns out to be the luckiest download of one user’s life.
“We’d like to thank our customers and developers for helping us achieve this historic milestone of 25 billion apps downloaded,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “When we launched the App Store less than four years ago, we never imagined that mobile apps would become the phenomenon they have, or that developers would create such an incredible selection of apps for iOS users.”
The lucky winner of a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card is Chunli Fu of Qingdao, China, who downloaded the aforementioned Where’s My Water Free app to claim the big prize. And hey, it’s the perfect kind of prize to win: Since it’s tied to Chunli’s iTunes account, he couldn’t share some of the wealth if he wanted to.
Follow this article’s author, J.R. Bookwalter on Twitter
- 25 Billion Downloads: Apple’s App Store Hits Giant Milestone
- Apple Starts Counting Down To 25 Billion App Downloads, You Could Win The $10,000 Prize!
- 25 Billion App Store Downloads Getting Close – Will You Win?
- iPad App Store hits 3 billion downloads, represents 19% of Apple’s iOS devices
- Apple begins counting down to 25 billion App Store downloads
- Mac App Store hits 100 million app downloads
- Apple: We’ve Got Half A Million Apps Now, A Billion Downloads A Month